Learn what being a member does for you
The Seller Styles
See a summary of all our programs and certifications
Certified Professional Sales Person(CPSP®)
Develop your potential as a certified sales professional
Certified Professional Sales Leader(CPSL®)
Grow your impact as a certified sales leader
Certified Master Sales Professional (CMSP®)
Join the elite group of sales professionals and leaders
Certified Master Sales Trainer (CMST®)
Advanced Sales Influence (ASI)
Take your influence and leadership to the next level.
Certified Professional Sales Associate (CPSA®)
Learn foundational sales behaviors, strategies, and skills
Power of Contact Marketing
Learn from marketing expert and author Stu Heinecke
Join the top 1% of sales professionals in the world.
Next Level Virtual Coaching
Join our ongoing dynamic virtual coaching community
Explore job postings from some of the best companies in the country looking for sales professionals
Daily Dose of Influence!
Enjoy our video series of influence tips and strategies
Leads To Growth
Dig into our podcast featuring industry leaders and experts
Learn from our high-level sales coaching video series
Women of Sales & Influence – Facebook Live Series
Be inspired by our Facebook Live series spotlighting top women influencers
Women of Sales & Influence – Video Blog
Enjoy valuable, high-level sales strategies to empower your sales goals
The Growth Quotient
You’ve heard about IQ, but what is your GQ?
Our Commitment to You
We are here to help your approach to sales, how you interact with others, and how you perform and execute
NASP Sales Blog
Learn from our member-submitted articles for sales professionals
About Our CEO
Standards of Conduct
Common Questions and Answers
Was it Burt Lancaster who came out with those immortal words “If you build it they will come” in that excellent film ‘Field of Dreams’? But in business it’s increasingly clear that if you build it they probably won’t come. Apart from those who would have shown up anyway — and they are often not that many.
It often starts like this; A business idea is born — through a fabulous sounding idea, or because the timing is right to realise that life dream. Perhaps the money is there at last. Maybe a redundancy or other life changing event has forced the issue. Or a combination of all of the above.
The passion is there. Unbridled enthusiasm is unleashed as the new entrepreneurs start to ‘live the dream’. Then suddenly it dawns — they need more sales to survive! And
increasing sales is certainly not their speciality.
I’ve met some brilliant people in my line of work. Name a business sector and I’ve probably had the joy of meeting brilliant people within it.
That’s brilliant at ‘what they do’. But, sooner or later they have to get good at what they don’t do — Sell.
That’s when many develop that well known condition RSS — Reluctant Seller’s Syndrome. Sometimes I think it’s catching!
– They associate the word “selling” with those nasty high pressure sales tactics you hear about. This belief embeds itself over time — and ultimately inhibits their sales performance.
– They view selling as “persuading people to have something they don’t need” (it certainly isn’t by the way) — so they shun practising this sordid discipline!
– They freeze at networking events — speaking only to those they know and staying much too long talking to the friendly person next to them. They avoid breaking the circle and ‘interrupting’ a group nearby.
– They end up heavily discounting their services because deep down they didn’t believe their product or service was worth the initial price — and it showed.
These are the common symptoms — there are others too.
What to do if you’re exhibiting ‘Reluctant Seller Syndrome’?
Because there are lots like you. It’s a big club.
Then what? Grab the nearest pen and paper.
Ask yourself “What Stops You?” Dig deep. What REALLY stops you? And be very honest with the answers. Write down everything that comes into your head — even if it makes no sense. When you’ve written everything you can, WAIT. There will be more to come. That first gap was called a blank spot. Go past two blank spots and when you’ve finished writing the third time, then you probably are finished.
Now I don’t know what your answers will tell you — but you will. There will be some true nuggets in there. Nuggets which will, with a little thought, tell you exactly what you need to do next.
It’s all about the psychology of selling!
Until next time…
About the author
Hi I’m Leigh Ashton of The Sales Consultancy
Whether you’re a small business or a leading brand, an area manager or a Chief Executive, whether you’re new to sales or an experienced sales professional. Even if you’re not in sales at all but want to understand it, you’ve come to the right place.
The World of Sales is changing.
Today’s conventional sales training doesn’t address the psychological barriers that get in their way.
My approach takes your sales team through a process that:
* Helps them identify their psychological barriers and gives them the tools to overcome them
* Teaches them how the mind works so they can keep motivated and stay focused
* Gives them the ability to identify the psychological patterns of their clients and prospects so they connect with them at a deeper level and close more sales
And at a higher level…
* It creates more success in other areas of their lives so they are happier generally…and happier sales people generate more sales
Wherever you are on your personal sales journey what’s the best course of action for YOU.
– Sales Training – that actually gets results
– Leadership and Management
– Personal Coaching and Mentoring
– Sales Mentoring Programme
– NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) and how it can help you accelerate your success
– Keynote Speaking