Learn what being a member does for you
The Seller Styles
Learn the styles and take your free assessment
See a summary of all our programs and certifications
Certified Professional Sales Person(CPSP®)
Develop your potential as a certified sales professional
Certified Professional Sales Leader(CPSL®)
Grow your impact as a certified sales leader
Certified Master Sales Professional (CMSP®)
Join the elite group of sales professionals and leaders
Advanced Sales Influence (ASI)
Take your influence and leadership to the next level.
Sales Success Principles
Learn foundational sales behaviors, strategies, and skills
Power of Contact Marketing
Learn from marketing expert and author Stu Heinecke
Join the top 1% of sales professionals in the world.
Next Level Virtual Coaching
Join our ongoing dynamic virtual coaching community
Explore job postings from some of the best companies in the country looking for sales professionals
Daily Dose of Influence!
Enjoy our video series of influence tips and strategies
Leads To Growth
Dig into our podcast featuring industry leaders and experts
Learn from our high-level sales coaching video series
Women of Sales & Influence – Facebook Live Series
Be inspired by our Facebook Live series spotlighting top women influencers
Women of Sales & Influence – Video Blog
Enjoy valuable, high-level sales strategies to empower your sales goals
The Growth Quotient
You’ve heard about IQ, but what is your GQ?
Our Commitment to You
We are here to help your approach to sales, how you interact with others, and how you perform and execute
NASP Sales Blog
Learn from our member-submitted articles for sales professionals
Write For Us
Share your sales expertise and insights with our community
About Our CEO
Standards of Conduct
Common Questions and Answers
How focused are you on the 80% guys?
Over the many years of working with Sales Teams, I’ve noticed the following ratio at almost every company…
– Roughly 10% of the team are top performers and are amazing regardless of the quality of leadership they receive because they rarely need it. They are going to do it no matter what. These guys are focused and usually have a Growth Mindset.
– Roughly 10% of the team are under performers. No matter what you do to help them it never quite works out for them. There are all sorts of reasons for this…lost the heart for the job, no self-belief, lack of confidence, gone into the valley of reasons and excuses…one or more of these. They usually have a Fixed Mindset.
– Then there’s roughly 80% of the team who are there or there abouts. Some months are good, some are poor…or maybe they just hit target but don’t go far beyond it…even though they could with a bit more effort.
Your biggest wins are in the 80% crowd
These guys want to do it. They see the top performers above them and want to be them. They are a mix of mindsets which causes them to either try new approaches apprehensively which impacts on the results they can achieve OR avoid new approaches for fear of failure or humiliation. When they are brave enough to try they generally get a mediocre result, so they pull back and feel less eager to try again.
These guys are the ones that really need your support to step out of their comfort zone. Coaching them every step of the way so they don’t go running back to the safety is the surest way to develop them to greatness.
The more support you give this portion of your sales team…the greater the sales increase you’ll get.
Were you in the top 10% as a sales person?
If you were, this makes it even harder for you to have empathy with the other 90% of your team. You can’t understand why they just don’t get on with it. Simply do the things that create results. What is the matter with these sales people I hear you frustratedly ask!!!
I come across this situation all too often in sales leadership…I hear things like, they are just lazy, useless, a waste of space, incompetent, not fit for purpose…the list goes on and on.
And yet…when these sales leaders realise that not everyone is like them and some people simply need a helping hand, a leader that believes in them and someone they can turn to when they are having a tough time, they suddenly see the potential. Then they start to see the results once the 80% crowd start to shift their thinking.
They won’t all become top performers but they’ll all do more than they are doing now. How would you like an extra 10% from each of these guys? How about 20% Some will even double their sales when they get the support they need to get to the other side of the fog of fear and negativity.
Just to be clear…being supportive doesn’t mean being nice all the time. You need to push and challenge them beyond where they are comfortable and this makes them uncomfortable. When done well these tough conversations will be the things they remember most about working in your team…and with fondness!
Until next time,
About the author
Hi I’m Leigh Ashton of The Sales Consultancy
Whether you’re a small business or a leading brand, an area manager or a Chief Executive, whether you’re new to sales or an experienced sales professional. Even if you’re not in sales at all but want to understand it, you’ve come to the right place.
The World of Sales is changing.
Today’s conventional sales training doesn’t address the psychological barriers that get in their way.
My approach takes your sales team through a process that:
* Helps them identify their psychological barriers and gives them the tools to overcome them
* Teaches them how the mind works so they can keep motivated and stay focused
* Gives them the ability to identify the psychological patterns of their clients and prospects so they connect with them at a deeper level and close more sales
And at a higher level…
* It creates more success in other areas of their lives so they are happier generally…and happier sales people generate more sales
Wherever you are on your personal sales journey what’s the best course of action for YOU.
– Sales Training – that actually gets results
– Leadership and Management
– Personal Coaching and Mentoring
– Sales Mentoring Programme
– NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) and how it can help you accelerate your success
– Keynote Speaking