Learn what being a member does for you
The Seller Styles
Learn the styles and take your free assessment
See a summary of all our programs and certifications
Certified Professional Sales Person (CPSP®)
Develop your potential as a certified sales professional
Certified Professional Sales Leader (CPSL®)
Grow your impact as a certified sales leader
Certified Master Sales Professional (CMSP®)
Join the elite group of sales professionals and leaders
Advanced Sales Influence (ASI)
Take your influence and leadership to the next level.
Learn foundational sales behaviors, strategies, and skills
Power of Contact Marketing
Learn from marketing expert and author Stu Heinecke
Join the top 1% of sales professionals in the world.
Next Level Virtual Coaching
Join our ongoing dynamic virtual coaching community
Explore job postings from some of the best companies in the country looking for sales professionals
Daily Dose of Influence!
Enjoy our video series of influence tips and strategies
Leads To Growth
Dig into our podcast featuring industry leaders and experts
Learn from our high-level sales coaching video series
Women of Sales & Influence – Facebook Live Series
Be inspired by our Facebook Live series spotlighting top women influencers
Women of Sales & Influence – Video Blog
Enjoy valuable, high-level sales strategies to empower your sales goals
The Growth Quotient
You’ve heard about IQ, but what is your GQ?
Our Commitment to You
We are here to help your approach to sales, how you interact with others, and how you perform and execute
NASP Sales Blog
Learn from our member-submitted articles for sales professionals
Write For Us
Share your sales expertise and insights with our community
About Our CEO
Standards of Conduct
Common Questions and Answers
Who in your team needs a lift right now?
Sometimes my post on Linked In gets a bigger reaction than normal. I don’t think I’ve done anything different but it lands in a way that connects with more people. One of my posts did that last week. It was about the language we use to ourselves when we are discouraged…which we can all feel from time to time.
This was the post which was used with the image above…
How can you reframe some of the language you and your team use to create a more positive feeling in the body? The more positive our body feels the better actions we take!
#growthmindset #leadership #sales
This week I thought I’d elaborate on my LinkedIn post in the context of Sales Leadership and how you can change your language to support a discouraged sales person in your team.
Language to lift your team
Here are some examples you can use with your team…and what makes them so powerful!
The addition of the word BUT in a sentence negates what precedes it and reinforces what follows.
– This may seem tough BUT you’re tough too.
– You may not be able to control this situation BUT you can control how you respond.
The addition of YET reinforces that they are not done right now and there’s time to master this.
– You haven’t figured this out…YET
– You can’t do this successfully…YET
Adding a coaching question creates a sense of control and choice.
– This challenge is here to teach you something…what do you think it is?
– All you need to do is take it one step at a time. What’s the best next step for you?
– It didn’t go according to plan…not all of them do! What have you learned that you can use going forward to increase your success?
When they are feeling less than totally amazing.
– Never compare yourself to others…only to the you of yesterday.
– Never compare your chapter 5 to someone else’s chapter 25.
– If you’re improving by a tiny bit each day you’re still moving towards your goals.
– What can you use from another situation or context you’ve experienced in the past that would enable you to take a step in the right direction?
– Tough times don’t last. Tough people do! Thanks to Josef Dvorak for adding this one in the comments 🙂
It’s easy not to notice when one of your team needs a lift. Make sure that when you catch up with any of your team you listen fully…with no distractions. That way you’ll find it easier to notice that flat voice, those doubts, fears or general fed upness creeping into the conversation.
Be the kind of Sales Leader that cares about each sales person as a human being with thoughts and feelings. Taking care of the human element is a massive contribution to a high performing sales team and always worthy of your time.
Would love to hear any language reframes you use to support your team so please share them with me.
Until next time,
About the author
Hi I’m Leigh Ashton of The Sales Consultancy
Whether you’re a small business or a leading brand, an area manager or a Chief Executive, whether you’re new to sales or an experienced sales professional. Even if you’re not in sales at all but want to understand it, you’ve come to the right place.
The World of Sales is changing.
Today’s conventional sales training doesn’t address the psychological barriers that get in their way.
My approach takes your sales team through a process that:
* Helps them identify their psychological barriers and gives them the tools to overcome them
* Teaches them how the mind works so they can keep motivated and stay focused
* Gives them the ability to identify the psychological patterns of their clients and prospects so they connect with them at a deeper level and close more sales
And at a higher level…
* It creates more success in other areas of their lives so they are happier generally…and happier sales people generate more sales
Wherever you are on your personal sales journey what’s the best course of action for YOU.
– Sales Training – that actually gets results
– Leadership and Management
– Personal Coaching and Mentoring
– Sales Mentoring Programme
– NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) and how it can help you accelerate your success
– Keynote Speaking