Learn what being a member does for you
The Seller Styles
Learn the styles and take your free assessment
See a summary of all our programs and certifications
Certified Professional Sales Person (CPSP®)
Develop your potential as a certified sales professional
Certified Professional Sales Leader (CPSL®)
Grow your impact as a certified sales leader
Learn foundational sales behaviors, strategies, and skills
Power of Contact Marketing
Learn from marketing expert and author Stu Heinecke
Join the top 1% of sales professionals in the world.
Next Level Virtual Coaching
Join our ongoing dynamic virtual coaching community
Explore job postings from some of the best companies in the country looking for sales professionals
Daily Dose of Influence!
Enjoy our video series of influence tips and strategies
Leads To Growth
Dig into our podcast featuring industry leaders and experts
Learn from our high-level sales coaching video series
Women of Sales & Influence – Facebook Live Series
Be inspired by our Facebook Live series spotlighting top women influencers
Women of Sales & Influence – Video Blog
Enjoy valuable, high-level sales strategies to empower your sales goals
The Growth Quotient
You’ve heard about IQ, but what is your GQ?
Our Commitment to You
We are here to help your approach to sales, how you interact with others, and how you perform and execute
NASP Sales Blog
Learn from our member-submitted articles for sales professionals
Write For Us
Share your sales expertise and insights with our community
About Our CEO
Standards of Conduct
Common Questions and Answers
I’ve just got back from meeting with my business mentor – and just had to share my enthusiasm for the brilliant support a fabulous mentor can provide!
I’m fully confident that, through my mentor, I’m getting the advice, insight and unbiased support I need to realise the business goals we’ve set.
How much help do you get in your business?
We all need help now and again. Those who say they don’t need it probably need it the most!!
Who have you got to bounce ideas off that doesn’t bring their own baggage into the equation? And do you seriously believe that someone, somewhere hasn’t had the same challenges you’re experiencing right now?
If you listed your top three current challenges, I would bet that these are issues that most business owners, business leaders, sales professionals have experienced in the past. Whether you’re running a small business, managing within a larger organisation or intending to do any of these in the future, seriously consider getting yourself a mentor. It could mean the result of reaching another level of your sales success.
What’s a Mentor?
* Someone who you feel can help you in your pursuit of your career objectives, whatever they are more sales, a promotion, improved leadership skills, more self control, better networking techniques etc.
* Someone who can give you a neutral take on your latest challenges – they should have no axe to grind.
* Someone with a vast bank of knowledge that you can tap into – who’s been there, done that…and collected a few T shirts along the way.
* Someone you check in with now and again to bounce your latest ideas.
* Someone you trust to challenge you, to prod you, to ask you searching questions.
A good mentor…
…will use a variety of different approaches and move seamlessly between them – coaching, counselling, mentoring, advising, training, guiding, whatever you need. Critically, you can learn from their mistakes! Get to know the pitfalls and how to avoid them. Getting yourself a mentor isn’t a sign of weakness. On the contrary it’s a sign of strength, a sign that you are willing to garner all the resources you can in your pursuit of your goals. It’s not about copying them, it’s about using their experience and advice and adopting it in a way that works for you.
How does mentoring work?
Any way you want it to! You can go the formal route – regular scheduled sessions with a paid professional coach or mentor who can offer you the level and breadth of experience you need to tap into. More informally you might find someone in your organisation that can help (bear in mind it can’t be someone you report to). Ask them if they would be available as a mentor and offer to take them for lunch now and again in return for picking their brains.
You’d be surprised…
…how experienced achievers like to be asked about how they have achieved success – they will be impressed by your drive and initiative! You and your mentor need to get on well. Choose someone you have good rapport with. Get away from your normal place of work. No phones, no interruptions, it all helps. Look upon it as an investment of time and money in YOU.
How long should you and your mentor spend together?
Anything from an hour a month upwards. You may need more time at first then top up mentoring sessions further down the line.
So – don’t plough that lone furrow. And let me know how you get on.
Until next time.
About the author
Hi I’m Leigh Ashton of The Sales Consultancy
Whether you’re a small business or a leading brand, an area manager or a Chief Executive, whether you’re new to sales or an experienced sales professional. Even if you’re not in sales at all but want to understand it, you’ve come to the right place.
The World of Sales is changing.
Today’s conventional sales training doesn’t address the psychological barriers that get in their way.
My approach takes your sales team through a process that:
* Helps them identify their psychological barriers and gives them the tools to overcome them
* Teaches them how the mind works so they can keep motivated and stay focused
* Gives them the ability to identify the psychological patterns of their clients and prospects so they connect with them at a deeper level and close more sales
And at a higher level…
* It creates more success in other areas of their lives so they are happier generally…and happier sales people generate more sales
Wherever you are on your personal sales journey what’s the best course of action for YOU.
– Sales Training – that actually gets results
– Leadership and Management
– Personal Coaching and Mentoring
– Sales Mentoring Programme
– NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) and how it can help you accelerate your success
– Keynote Speaking