Learn what being a member does for you
The Seller Styles
Learn the styles and take your free assessment
See a summary of all our programs and certifications
Certified Professional Sales Person (CPSP®)
Develop your potential as a certified sales professional
Certified Professional Sales Leader (CPSL®)
Grow your impact as a certified sales leader
Learn foundational sales behaviors, strategies, and skills
Power of Contact Marketing
Learn from marketing expert and author Stu Heinecke
Join the top 1% of sales professionals in the world.
Next Level Virtual Coaching
Join our ongoing dynamic virtual coaching community
Explore job postings from some of the best companies in the country looking for sales professionals
Daily Dose of Influence!
Enjoy our video series of influence tips and strategies
Leads To Growth
Dig into our podcast featuring industry leaders and experts
Learn from our high-level sales coaching video series
Women of Sales & Influence – Facebook Live Series
Be inspired by our Facebook Live series spotlighting top women influencers
Women of Sales & Influence – Video Blog
Enjoy valuable, high-level sales strategies to empower your sales goals
The Growth Quotient
You’ve heard about IQ, but what is your GQ?
Our Commitment to You
We are here to help your approach to sales, how you interact with others, and how you perform and execute
NASP Sales Blog
Learn from our member-submitted articles for sales professionals
Write For Us
Share your sales expertise and insights with our community
About Our CEO
Standards of Conduct
Common Questions and Answers
Prospects go through many phases before making the final buying decision. Some sales have more phases than others, and there can be many steps involved including evaluating data or demos, going up or down the decision chain, talking with partners, spouses, or others, etc.
The answer is to ask direct, specific questions that require your prospect to either commit to what’s next, or that get your prospect to reveal that the sale might not go through (I know you hate to hear that, but it’s better to find out sooner rather than later). So here’s how you do it:
The first question you need to ask is a definite commitment question at the end of your qualifying call before you send info or gather quotes, etc. If you know you’re dealing directly with the decision maker, then use the question below and customize (adapt) it to fit your specific selling situation:
“Prospect, I’ll go ahead and (get this demo/quote/info off to you) and let me ask you a question. If you can see how this will/can (state the benefits and match them to their specific needs), is this something you will take advantage of (next week or whatever time frame you’ve discussed)?”
Now, if there are many other layers involved, then you need to get specific commitment on what will happen next. So you should say:
“Terrific. I’ll go ahead and get this off to you so you can begin your evaluation process. Let me ask you again: based on what we went over (restate their specific needs and exactly how your product/service fits these), does it sound/look like this might be the solution your company is looking for?” And then,
“What can you see that might get in the way of us moving forward with this?”
You may be thinking that you don’t want to introduce an objection here, and you’re not – what you’re doing is exposing possible Huge Red Flags that will only get worse as you go down the sales process. It’s better to know NOW.
During any phase of the process, it’s crucial that you continue to ask these kind of specific, direct questions. Here are a few that will always help you know where you stand – and what you need to do next:
If they say, “Well, the XYZ department has to look at it now,” you say:
“Great. Does that mean that the “other team’ has approved it?” OR,
“That’s wonderful. How much closer to a decision are we?” Or,
“Who do I need to speak with in that group?” Or,
“And what happens after that?” And,
“If they agree (like it), are we a go?” And,
“What could go wrong there?” And,
“How many other proposals are they looking at?” And,
“Where does ours stand,” Or, “Who are they leaning towards so far?” And,
“Are you still onboard on this?”
As you can see, what all these questions have in common is they require a definite answer. This is something the Top 20% demand to know and that the other 80% are afraid to find out.
If you feel you’ve lost control of the sales process, it’s because you’re not asking the questions that you need to be asking. If that’s the case, then use some of the questions above, take control of the sale, and start closing more business – believe me, it works!
About the author
Do you have an underperforming inside sales team? Talk to Mike to see how he can help you and your team reach your revenue goals. To learn more about Mike, visit his website: http://www.MrInsideSales.com